JAMES LESLIE, born in the Paterson River district of NSW in 1848, was the younger brother of Peter Leslie. [refer previous story]
James was educated at Kings School Parramatta, NSW and when he was about 25 years, was appointed manager of Binna Station, the property belonging to his uncle, Duncan McMaster. He subsequently purchased Nerida Station, near Muttaburra Station, Queensland, a large sheep raising property that he held for 17 years.
After he sold Nerida Station, he took up residence in Sydney, NSW as a Stock Exchange investor. During the First World War 1914-18, he offered his home "Balquhain" at Blackheath in the Blue Mountains, NSW, as a convalescent home, for Officers. He also donated the money to build the Leslie Memorial Presbyterian Church and Manse at Blackheath as well as donating a Motor Vehicle to the Church.
Before his death on 19th July 1934, James Leslie gave his home "Balquhain" at 161 Govetts Leap Road, Blackheath to the Presbyterian Church as a rest home for the clergy. Unfortunately the Presbyterian Church has since sold the property and it is now a Bed and Breakfast facility.
James Leslie married Elizabeth Waddell in 1888, the sister of the Hon Thomas Waddell. James died in Sydney 19th July 1934.
Thanks to Bernie Tucker, Session Clerk of the Presbyterian Church of the Upper Blue Mountains, for the photograph of James Leslie and to Charlotte Leslie of Sydney for the extra information on her GG Grand Uncle. Barrie Leslie, Gordon, NSW.